John W. Hesker bought land with James W. Stewart who helped to plat the village of Old Marisasa. In 1869 Mr. Hesker laid out an addition of his own in the northeast part of Old Marissa, northeast of where the School District 40 offices are now located. It has been reported that the Hesker home stood on the crest of the hill just east of Coulter’s mill and that house was later occupied by the George Nevin family. It is also believed that Mr. Hesker was one of the charter members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Hesker had married Ida Dial and when he died she moved the family to DuQuoin. There is a tombstone for John Hesker in the Marissa Cemetery and it indicates that he was born 6 Feb 1840 and died 23 Apr 1878. After the death of John W., his wife moved the family to DuQuoin, Perry County, Illinois.
Ida (Dial) Hesker (also found as Louisa) was born 13 Nov 1844 and died 5 Feb 1933 at DuQuoin, Perry County, IL. On tombstone of husband John W. Hesker, there are no dates for her, only the word “Mother”.